The following are inexplicable events personally experienced by me (Maurice Grosse), during the so-called “Enfield Haunting”.
All experiences have taken place in good lighting conditions
1) I have clearly seen glass marbles and plastic pieces in high speed transit with unusual trajectory. These objects appear to emanate from walls and windows at heights varying from five to seven feet. They always fell to the floor without bouncing.
2) While I was sitting in the kitchen one evening writing up my notes, an aluminium teapot standing on the kitchen top near the gas stove started to vibrate violently and jump up and down on the kitchen top. I was alone in the room at the time.
3) A table lamp placed on the floor at the foot of a bed completely out of reach of any person and clearly in my sight tilted its shade at an angle of 45 degrees and a few seconds later moved back again to the vertical position.
4) The toilet door opened and closed on its own a number of times. Each time nobody else has been in the vicinity and no draughts have been apparent.
5) A cardboard box 2 ft x 1 ft x 1 ft 6” with cushions and a soft toy inside it was thrown at me whilst I was communicating with the ‘entity’ by knocking. This happened in the bedroom and the family were in bed at the time and under observation.
6) I was standing in the bedroom, holding the door open and facing in to the room. A slipper flew at me from the far side of the room and hit the door by my head.
7) A certificate in a plastic frame was pulled off the wall directly behind my head. The family were in bed at the time, and the nearest member of the family was eight feet away from the wall. There was nobody else in the room at the time.
8) The carpet in the bedroom was continuously pulled up at the edge to form an identical shape each time. I have been unable to repeat this pattern myself.
9) I was standing in the living room in front of the settee about one foot away from it. There were eight or nine people in the room at the time, most of them standing. Nobody was sitting on the settee. Suddenly the settee flew up vertically to a height of about four feet and turned over backwards falling to the floor upside down.
10) I saw Janet levitated out of an armchair and deposited in the middle of the room complete with the cushion she was sitting on. She levitated up in a sitting position and moved forward in that position approximately four feet. I was sitting facing her across the room at the time, and was just about to talk to her when it happened.
11) I saw Mr. Burcombe - the uncle - pulled out of his chair and whirled around 180 degrees before falling to the floor. The whirling motion was remarkably fast and this episode happened in the house.
12) The doors on the kitchen wall units have been seen to slide back and forth on their own.
13) Tubular door chimes fixed on the living room wall were seen to swing from side to side. This happened many times.
14) A paper handkerchief settled on top of my head when I was standing in the bedroom. It settled very slowly and gently on my head.
15) Many times while sitting either in the kitchen or the living room I have heard distinct sounds resembling footsteps walking across the bedroom floors. Nobody was upstairs at the time.
16) Mrs. Nottingham and myself were unable to pull Margaret down the stairs while she claimed she was being held fast by the ankle with one leg in the air. She was standing on one leg at the time and she was not holding on to anything. Only after we twisted her around was she released.
17) Penny and twopenny pieces have dropped on to the floor next to me, both in Mrs. Hodgson’s house and in Mr. Burcombe’s house. They appeared to drop straight down. There was no bounce. They were not thrown.
In addition to these events, I have experienced a considerable amount of ‘knocking phenomena’ which has been accompanied by very strong vibrations on the walls and floors. I have also heard very loud bangs coming from the radiators not explicable in terms of the usual water system noises.
I have been present when a number of events have happened behind my back or not directly in my view that in my opinion were not physically caused by any person present. This includes water and fire episodes.